National Championships 2019
National Outdoor Championships - Saturday June 15th 2019
Venue - Cumberland Show, East Park, Brisco, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA4 0RB (Jct. 42 off M6).
Entry forms for the 2019 National Outdoor Tug of War Championships will be available to download in due course. Separate entry forms will be provided for mens, ladies, juniors and senior mixed entries.
The closing date for entries will be Saturday 1 June 2019.
Please ensure that you complete the entry forms and submit with the relevant entry fees (£25 per team per weight class) by the deadline to the Championship Secretary, Mick Grimston, using the details on the entry form. You can download entry forms below:
- Senior Mens weight classes entry form (will be available in due course)
- Senior Ladies weight classes entry form (will be available in due course)
- Senior Mixed weight class entry form (will be available in due course)
- Junior weight classes entry form (will be available in due course)
- Under 23 “GENSB” 6 a side weight class entry form (will be available in due course) - see rules for composition of teams by clicking the link below. Please note that teams can be club teams or area teams.
Registration Cards Required
Weigh In - Friday 14th June - 4pm - 8pm at Borderway Market, Montgomery Way, Rosehill Roundabout, Carlisle, Cumbria CA1 2RS.
Stamping - Saturday 15th June - 8am - 9am at the competition ground
First Pull - 10am
Weights (in pulling order)
** please note that the mens catchweight competition will take place at the same time as the mens 560kg competition.
*** this is a new weight class introduced at the 2018 TOWA AGM. Download the rules for the Under 23 Championships via the link below:
* denotes weight categories that are representative weights at the World Outdoor Championships and World Junior Championships and British and Irish Outdoor Championships.
How to compete at the event
1. Register your team as a full or associate club member with the Tug of War Association Clubs wishing to compete on a regular basis and teams wishing to compete at championship events should become full club members (£100 per club) or associate club members (£20 per club) of the Tug of War Association. If your club has yet to renew their membership with the Tug of War Association, or wishes to join the Tug of War Association as new members, then please contact TOWA Treasurer Alan Ludkin for a membership form on 01304 617660 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Register all of your individual pullers and team coach by completing the puller registration form and provide 2 passport size photos of each member and team coach (if not already registered with the TOWA) and submit your form to the Tug of War Association Secretary with the appropriate puller registration fee of £5 per puller/coach, which registers your team members to compete at all Tug of War Association competitions and championships throughout 2017. Please note that to compete at the championships, all pullers must be registered by Wednesday 16th May at the latest.
For new pullers, only official passport type photos will be accepted, which the puller must print their name and sign on the rear as well as provide a date of birth. Photos printed off Facebook, etc. will not be accepted. For junior and under 23 pullers, a copy of a document that provides proof of age should be provided with the registration form. Acceptable documents for proof of age are as follows:
- a full or provisional driving license
- a passport
- a birth certificate
You can download the puller registration forms below in Excel and PDF format.
- Club member registration form (Excel format) - to be uploaded in due course
- Club member registration form (pdf format - to be uploaded in due course
Please return your puller membership form and puller registration fees to TOWA Secretary Mick Copper by post - 11 Holmfield Drive, Raunds, Northamptonshire, NN9 6PB, or e-mail an electronic copy of your forms to email@example.com
3. Complete the national outdoor tug of war championships entry form to confirm which weight classes your team would like to enter, and submit it to the Tug of War Association Championship Secretary with the relevant entry fees.
How does your team qualify to compete at the championships?
There are no pre-qualification events that teams have to attend to qualify to compete at the Tug of War Association National Outdoor Tug of War Championships. As long as your club is registered as a full or associate member of the Tug of War Association, all individual pullers have been registered by 15 May 2019, you have submitted your entry form and paid all entry fees in advance, then your team can compete. All registered teams are welcome to compete.
The only qualifying criteria that applies is for those teams who aspire to be selected to represent England at international events. The winning teams (and in some cases the second or third placed teams, and at the discretion of the TOWA fourth placed teams) from the various weight classes at the national championships may be eligible for selection to represent England at international events.
To be eligible to be invited to represent England, teams must have competed in a least 6 outdoor permitted tug of war competitions from the TOWA Fixture List (excluding any training leagues, early pulls, limited events (such as Young Farmers only events) or other similar type of non TOWA event) as amended at the 2016 TOWA AGM on Saturday 26th January 2018. Junior teams wishing to represent must have also competed in junior weight classes at 4 competitions prior to the national championships to be eligible to be invited to represent England as amended at the 2016 TOWA AGM on Saturday 30th January 2016. If in doubt check with your Area Rep or other member of the General Committee.
Please note that for your attendance at a permitted competition to count towards the England qualifying/selection criteria, competing at an event means weighing in, having your team stamped by a judge, fully completing the entry sheet, and paying the entry fee in at least one weight class with a minimum of 5 of your club's own registered pullers if weighing in to compete with 7 members, or 6 of your club's own registered pullers if weighing in to compete with 8 members.
Please note otherwise, that competing at the TOWA national championships is open to any club registered to the Tug of War Association, and there is no set number of events that teams have to attend to qualify to compete. The qualifying criteria referred to above only applies to those teams wishing to qualify to represent England.
Otherwise, please refer to rule 2.3 of the TOWA rules contained within the TOWA Handbook regarding eligibility to compete at the TOWA National Championships and eligibility to represent England.
Each team can make 1 substitution per weight class. The replacement puller must be the same weight or lighter than the puller they replace.
Gold, silver and bronze medals will be presented to the top three teams in each weight class. An annual trophy will also be presented to the winners of each weight class to keep for one year to be returned at the 2019 national championships.
The winning teams in each weight class may also have the honour of being invited to represent England at the European Championships, which take place in Ireland in September.
Mens teams may register female pullers from other clubs as second claim members to compete in the mixed weight class, and likewise, ladies teams may register male pullers from other clubs as second claim members to compete in the mixed weight class where a mens club or ladies club don't have a team of the opposite gender.
At the 2018 AGM a resolution was passed that will only allow a mixed 4+4 team to be made up of pullers from a maximum of two clubs only. This can be of any combination, e.g. 4 males from one club and 4 females from another club, or 4 males and 2 females from one club and 2 females from another club and so on.
Second claim pullers for the mixed weight class must also be registered by 15 May 2018.
Participating teams will be permitted to erect a team tent for the day, however tents will only be permitted to be erected in the designated area. There will be no exceptions to this requirement.
Tents will NOT be permitted to be erected next to the edge of the arena. If you erect your team tent next to the arena outside of the designated area then you will be asked to move it.
Cars will NOT be permitted on the field / around the arena at all and must be parked in the designated car park.
Entry passes will be provided to all tug of war competitors, coaches and officials.
For spectators / non-pullers, entry is free for children up to 16 years of age when accompanied by an adult. Advance adult tickets are £11 per person and £14 on the gate on the day. Ticketing information is available here - http://www.cumberlandshow.co.uk/
For further details about the national championships, please contact the Championships Secretary Mick Grimston on 01205 369753